Monday, October 25, 2010

Life with Lydia

As always, I tend to pay more attention to Facebook than I do my blog these days but I wanted to take a couple minutes and write (type) out some thoughts about Lydia.

This girl is awesome. We waited a week past her due date and she finally came like "a thief in the night" just as I had prayed only 2 nights before she was born. On Sunday night (9/19/10) I had an entire conversation on the phone with my sister-in-law about how I didn't want to have to be induced on Tuesday. After talking with Melissa, Joel and I ate our normal frozen pizza that we eat every Sunday night. We went to bed around 11:30pm and I wasn't even asleep yet when I felt a pretty good contraction (around 11:45pm). I told Joel that was the "best contraction I'd had all week!" Half asleep, he told me to wake him up if I had any more. About midnight I had another one just like it. I figured if they kept coming then I'd start timing them. Well, this girl didn't waste any time...I had another at 12:05am and they just kept coming. We called our neighbor to come stay with Evan and we left our house at 12:30am with my contractions 3 minutes apart. We were in a room by 12:50am and I was already dilated to 6! As planned, I said no to the epideral and only about 1 hour later, she was born! Lydia Mae Searby weighed in at 6 lbs 12 oz and was 19 inches long. She felt SO tiny when they placed her on my chest:) Joel and Kelly were great coaches. I couldn't have done it without them!

This first month with Lydia flew by. She was the sweetest thing ever that first two weeks. We took her to her first tailgate at 5 days old and to church at 6 days old. She mainly ate and slept and enjoyed all the hugs and kisses from her big brother. Unfortunately with those kisses came germs. At 2 weeks, Lydia tested positive for RSV. So for the next two weeks we had to give her breathing treatments and we were in the doctor's office about 5 times. We are very thankful that she never had a fever nor stopped eating. Her doctor said she "took it like a champ!"

Mark & Linda were down for a weekend visit while Evan was sick and Lydia was just catching it. Hopefully our next visit with them will go a little better! My Mom and Dad came down at the end of Lydia being sick. That was a blessing to have some extra hands around the house for 2 weeks and Evan enjoyed having lots of attention.

Now its back to figuring out what "normal" life will look like with 2 kids. We're getting into a routine. Lydia is sleeping 6 to 8 hours each night. Evan is going to preschool twice per week. I'm trying to keep up with the laundry and dishes while maintaining a social life.

Lydia's stats:
Birth: 19 inches / 6 lbs. 12 oz.
2 Weeks: 19.5 inches / 7 lbs. 10 oz.
1 month: 21 inches / 8 lbs. 4 oz.

Lydia Mae, 1 month old, photo taken by Linda Bainter:

No comments: